As is always the case, we must take stock on the routines and simple rules that help us keep everyone safe and assure that the school runs smoothly for everyone. To that end, and continuing on the good work last year, some reminders are always helpful in the early days of school. As I noted at the PTO meeting last week, we have done well reminding ourselves of our basic safety rules, but can continue to remind each other regularly as the year progresses. Here’s some key bullets to check and see if you are ready for the year:
- Parents and staff must wear their ID badge visibly at all times. This is for students to identify adults who are authorized to be on campus and have stipulated to our code of conduct. The badge, visitor or regular, is a commitment to the code of conduct that is also in our handbooks and policy. Please wear your badge at all times. If you need help getting or replacing a badge, please ask at the Security Desk for assistance.
- The campus working hours are 8:00a to 4:30p each day (Monday through Friday). We’ll send out more details on this, but we have clear times for accessing the campus and a different set of rules for times outside our normal working hours. Activities that start just before 4:30p continue until complete and then students must depart. The basic rule is that students may only return to campus after hours for scheduled activities or to access outside areas only for recreation purposes only. They may not re-enter the building. In order to gain access to the campus after hours for Middle School and High School students, they must have their student ID (we are in the process of making sure students all have their ID). For elementary students (who do not have an ID except in their classroom), they may only access the campus with parent supervision (therefore with a Parent ID). Parents can escort their elementary students onto campus for outdoor recreation or for organized activities. Just know for now that students will not be admitted back onto campus if they have departed unless they are coming back for a specific activity and have their ID or are in need of assistance.
- Thank you for all your work to make things as smooth as possible in the parking lot. All seems to be going smoothly, but please remember the following:
- Park carefully and please help to maximize our parking by staying within lines.
- NEVER leave your vehicle in a yellow zone for any reason.
- Turn engines off if waiting in a yellow zone or if parked for more than a minute.
- Never drive over a curb or park in areas not designated as parking.
- Use overflow parking outside the back entrance if necessary or drive the loop until space becomes available. Don’t block traffic flow under any circumstances.
- Please be sure to respect the learning environments in the school. Parents are welcome in the cafeteria after students go to class, but please don’t linger in hallways or classroom areas while school is in session unless you are there at teacher request.
- Remember that pets are not allowed on campus and we have signs posted in this regard at both entrances. We do allow pets to transit in vehicles, but they must remain in the vehicle at all times on campus. Thank you in advance for your kind attention to this rule.
That should be enough for now. We’ll offer additional details and other reminders as the year continues.
Also, please note that our handbooks have been refreshed and are now available on our website for reference. Here are the links for easy direct access: